Thursday, February 5, 2009

8 Month Update

.
Yo, Mama!

Wow! 8 Months. Some days it feels like only weeks ago, and other days it seems like years.
Actually, all things considered I think my recovery is going pretty well. On the sleepnight site, I have read so many postings of people with different problems and challenges after their surgeries, and although I have some of my own, they still seem to be quite manageable. With the exception of the TMJ/bite problem, (and ICU part deux), I feel really fortunate that my recovery has been so smooth.

1) Feelings. Nothing more than feelings.
The returning of the feeling in my lower jaw, lip and teeth seems to be pretty typical. Still some numbness, but actually if no more feeling returned, I would be okay with it. As for the top region, I still have a ways to go. The feeling in my palate is slowly coming back, but I estimate I still have 2/3 of the way to go. The front half of my top teeth still have very little feeling, although I seem to be able to chew pretty well with my molars.

2) Sweet Dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree??
My sleep study proved to be a big success, and i don't think much has changed since then. I always get a good nights sleep, wake rested, and my energy level is good. However I never did start sleeping with my mouth closed (as Dr. KL suspected I would), so when I sleep on my side, (especially on my left side), my jaw drops open and shifts to the left and pressure is put on my jaw joint. Over the course of time, it starts causing the joint to "snap"(and hurt).

3) Chew-chew!
Eating has been an ongoing challenge for a number of different reasons. After the surgery, Dr. KL told me the bone of my top jaw was thin and he even used some of the bone he took from the Geneoglossus Advancement and grafted it up there. In the following weeks it was clear that the jaw was healing slowly, so he advised me to stick with really soft foods, so to me that meant a lot of pasta (because at that time I was SICK of soup) B-z-z-z-z-z-t! That turned out to be a bad idea, because I gained back the 17 pounds I had lost after the MMA surgery and gained an addition 7 more, tipping the scale at an unheard of 200 pounds. Holy frejole'!
Well, my top jaw seems more solid now, and I started eating some firmer foods, but that was about the time when chewing that stuff started to irritate my jaw joint. Grrrr! Since my bite is not aligned now, (my front teeth meet and my molars don't) and I have been wearing that splint the orthodontist made for me, little has changed. In fact, it's possible that the TMJ has gotten a little worse. I still think if I ever want my teeth and bite to be normal again (i.e. how they used to be), I'm going to need braces....for a third time. Oh goody. AND, if I'm ever going to not be 200 pounds, I'm going to have to go on a diet. ...which leads me to the next subject.

4) Diet Bacon!!
Ahhh, wouldn't THAT be nice. Actually, there's a little story to that. As you know, we have a corporate gym at work and they organize random fitness events. So, now thay are doing a "Biggest Loser"-style program where teams of people compete collectively to lose weight via diet and exercise. I formed a team of 6 gals and 4 guys for this challenge and our team name is "Diet Bacon". Luckily, there's a lady on our team who knows a bit about nurtition, so she will be sending out weekly newsletters with different kinds of advice and cooking tips. My goal is to lose somewhere around 20 to 25 lbs., and we have 3 months to do it. Goodbye donuts!! Goodbye Onion Rings! Goodbye startchy foods! I will miss y'all, but maybe someday we'll meet again (in moderation)

5) Orthodontist Follow-up:
I had an orthodontist appointment scheduled for this week, but after I arrived they told me the doc couldn't make it (for some reason), so I had to re-schedule for the 25th. I was bummed because I wanted to tell him that I didn't think this guard is doing much good and that in fact I think my jaw is actually starting to get a little worse.
Basically, I still think that if I ever want to have my bite back to where it used to be, I'm going to need braces. Guess I'll have to hold off on any further speculatioin

6) ....and last but not least. The Insurance Company Update.
I wanted to finish this note with a really happy ending, and it is. After many months of calling, waiting, calling and waiting some more, my insurance drama is finally over! Well, at least the MMA chapter that is.
As you recall, (and you probably do, since y'all floated me the loan), I had to pay a hefty 5-figure up-front deposit to the good doc. That's because it was uncertain if my insurance company would cough-up enough to cover the surgeons fee.
Long story short: After 5 months, they didn't. They low-balled the payout and it looked like I might not ever get my deposit back. So, with the help of the (AWESOME!) benefits administrator where I work, (and a couple more months of waiting) the insurance company finally coughed up what they should have in the first place!! This was music to my ears!

A side note: I met a nice lady here where I work who has a much worse case of Obstructive Sleep Apnea than mine, and it looks like she is headed for MMA surgery herself, and I know Dr. KL will take excellent care of her, as he did with me and hundreds of other people. We talk quite a bit, and I keep her posted about my recovery and insurance whoas, in hopes of her being more prepared and educated about what is in store for her.

In closing, I'm still glad that I did all of this and I hope more people with the same problem will find the help they need and get some relief. For many, it could even save their lives.

xoxoxo:
Pinski
.